Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy


It doesn't look like much- actually, it looks quite beautiful- but don't be fooled.
We are getting hit hard on Long Island, and the storm hasn't even REACHED us yet.
Forty mile an hour winds gust through the trees, ripping at wet leaves and branches
Noises of unseen objects hit against the houses, the electricity flickers precariously,
and the wind. Oh, the furious sound of the wind... it rattles your bones despite
your being safely out of the elements at home. Nature is in a total frenzy out here.

We haven't been doing much inside- Jake, Lola, and I have stayed huddled under the covers
for most of the afternoon, peeking out the window every so often to witness the havoc.
"Huh? There's a hurricane approaching?" Zzzz...
We're prepared with lots of water, candles, a propane stove, and food. Fortunately (and
I emphasis the word FORTUNATELY), we still have electricity, and I truly hope it stays 
that way, although as I stated earlier, the storm technically hasn't even hit us yet. We won't
bear the worst of it until around 7:30 this evening. I took down most of the decorations
outside, except for the gravestones. I've had one casualty so far- Norman Bate's gravestone-
but it can be easily fixed. Yep, things are pretty crazy out here on the island. I've seen pictures
of Martha's Vineyard, and other parts of Massachusetts, and it doesn't look too pretty there either.

To all of my fellow inhabitants of the east coast, please be safe.
I hope you have stocked up on all the necessities like water, canned foods,
some alternative form of cooking device for those with electric stoves, candles...
and of course, the "other" essentials like good books, board games,
 cocoa, and furry pets to cuddle up with when you get a bit nervous.

Hang in there, everyone-
My prayers are with you all.

12 comments:

  1. Oh Erin, here in MA. the wind is terrible. I was just watching the news and my area is experiencing some bad bands of wind. Stay safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no stronger force than nature - we are thinking of you all on the East Coast and pray that you stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all stay safe now. We are getting the wind, and it should be worsening soon, so everyone hold on!! Good luck riding out the storm. Gosh I wonder how Susan Branch is doing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending hopes for your safety during this time! I've wondered about Martha's Vineyard and Susan Branch. The last I heard she was preparing for her annual Halloween party and the lines of children who would be at her door on Halloween evening! I saw something on the news about the storm/flood levels expected at Nantucket, but no word about MV. Take care, and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hang in there erin and snuggle down with your too cute for words boyfriend!!!! we are about to get it really bad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay safe! Hope your power stays on and you continue to fare well. Pictures from all over the east coast look nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you are ok, hugs from Spain

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you guys made it safely through! We lost power for only about 6 hrs last night. Had a generator to get through that short time. Everything is fine now. Let us know you're ok when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Erin hope you made it through the storm okay! The wind was brutal in Massachusetts! I think snuggling was the perfect choice! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you got hit worse than we did in Massachusetts. Hope you are well and if you lost electricity that it has been restored. The winds were unbelievable! We never lost power, but had a lot of downed trees and water in the basement. I consider myself very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi erin! how are you? did you get hit bad by sandy?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just checking in to see how you are doing? I hope you made it through safely.
    ~Teresa from Lancaster, PA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails